Despite Slight Downturn, Traffic Deaths Were Still Too High in 2022
With 65 fewer deaths, driving on U.S. roads during the first nine months of 2022 was slightly less dangerous than the same time span a year earlier, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA)
But while any reduction in traffic fatalities is welcome news, the executive director of the GHSA says there is an urgent need to make the roads safer to prevent car accidents. In recent years, deaths on highways have climbed. In addition, the number of pedestrian and bicyclist deaths continues to rise.
What are the top causes of fatal car accidents?
The GHSA notes that unsafe driving behavior is to blame for fatal car accidents. The following are common types of dangerous behavior:
- Speeding: Driving too fast is a type of reckless behavior that increases the risk of a crash. A driver who is speeding will have less time to react in an emergency. Greater forces are involved in high-speed crashes, which leads to more serious and fatal injuries.
- Distracted driving: Cell phones are a top cause of distraction behind the wheel. An irresponsible driver might use a phone to text or check social media. Other forms of distraction include checking out the scenery, talking to other passengers, eating and drinking, and fiddling with an entertainment system. Drivers should focus on the road ahead of them and avoid distractions.
- Driving under the influence: Despite awareness campaigns over the last several decades, some motorists choose to drink and drive. A drunk driver will have a slower reaction time. They also might drive recklessly or at unsafe speeds.
How to reduce fatal car accidents
In the GHSA news release, executive director Jonathan Adkins urges states to adopt and implement the “Safe System” approach, which calls for countermeasures to reduce the risk of accidents involving injuries and deaths:
- Equitable traffic enforcement
- Infrastructure that slows down drivers and protects pedestrians and bicyclists
- Community engagement campaigns
- Vehicle technology to offers protection to people in and outside of vehicles
How can a lawyer help after a car accident?
Accidents involving negligent drivers can lead to complex insurance claims. Through no fault of their own, a driver, passenger, or someone on foot or bicycle can sustain a serious injury or lose their life. The insurance company may try to downplay the injury or shift blame to the victim. They may hire lawyers and experts to protect themselves against liability in a crash.
It’s common for victims to feel overwhelmed and want to give up when dealing with insurance companies. That’s why it’s smart to contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible after an accident involving an injury or death.
At Recht Law Offices, our lawyers fight to maximize compensation for clients. We will investigate the crash and get the facts to support the claim. We help injury victims get through an extremely difficult ordeal by standing up for them and being their advocate.
If you were injured in an accident or lost a loved one, contact us today for a free consultation. Our law firm handles accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay us if we win your case. Talk to us today. There is no obligation. We represent injured people in West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.